A day for the ladies and men

From: Toby Matthews

Dear friends and family I would like to tell you a bit about Haiti.

First off I would like to tell you about the hotel we are staying at, the hotel is a total blessing its absolutely beautiful its right on the water with its own cove and has millions of palm trees, a pool and amazing food. With this as our hotel I feel absolutely horrible in the way that when I went through Port au Prince on the truck I saw thousands of Haitian people living in tents as their homes and they were also living in a garbage filled environment and in a very dangerous area. It is overwhelming seeing their way of living compared to mine that’s why it makes me very sad after seeing kids with no food living in shacks, then to be  coming back to the 4 star hotel. Other than that everything seems to be great, being here has also put a lot of thought for my career in what I want to do with my life and how I as a 15 year old boy can make a difference like some of the God driven inspirational people over here.

I can totally see God working through us as a team in many ways, it’s very cool to see his plan unravel and it’s also hard to see your purpose in that. Haiti has turned out to be worth every penny I definitely want to come back and grow in Gods purpose. I would like to give a shout out to my stunning mom Carol and my beautiful sisters Ruthie and Annie.

Encouragement for the day: Gods faith to you has no limits or ends, trust in undying and never surrendering faith.

Some of the hard working boys

More manly men

Day 5

Well I made it to Haiti!!! Yeah God!!! The sights sound, smells and emotions are unlike anything I have ever experienced but I am taking it all in and am very thankful for each day.   Today was day 2 on the job site.  We have been working with a Haitian team of men that are digging out the driveway.  This is done by shovel, pick and wheel barrel for the clay and dirt parts and sledge hammer for the rock.  I have never seen such hardworking men.  It was very humbling.  We have been lucky to meet a few that can speak a little English.  This morning we had a great time with them singing worships songs, first from us in English and then from them in Creole.  It was amazing.  I highly doubt I would be singing if I had to work like that every day.  The only way to describe it is “a God moment”.  Parents you have done a fantastic job raising these young people (I guess that includes me..haha).  They are so willing and able to work, and they have been working hard.  Emily has been amazing with the wheel barrels, hauling dirt and dumping it.   Kate had a day of being under the weather but today she was better and able to get in there and help.  I am so proud of each and every one of these young people.   They are great human beings.  It is a blessing for me to spend time with all of them.

This afternoon the ladies were given a real treat.  We have met a friend of Nick and Gwen’s named Sarah.  Sarah is a midwife and runs a prenatal clinic here in Jacmel.   She is working hard to educate the young girls and women about their bodies and the rights they have.   She has also been lucky enough to have a few men come and learn about relationship.  She is an amazing young woman.  Today we ladies got to spend the afternoon at her clinic where we sat in on one of her classes for teens.  We also gave the girls pedicures and then they in turn gave us one.  Another very humbling experience.  Emily, Nicole and I got a rainbow of colours on our toes.  I can’t wait to show it off when I get back….if it makes it. The people here have been amazing.

There is so much I could write about but apparently other people need to have a turn as well…lol.  Know that we are all well, thanks to your prayers.  Please continue to pray for us.  Especially that God will keep us healthy and safe and that our team will continue to bond…..what a great team!!!

Kyle can you give Alex the link for this blog.  Emily can’t remember if she did.  Thanks for your posts, it makes us Lynch women smile…especially Katie.

To my family and friends….BLOG ME!!!

Love and blessing to all of you,

Ann

woman pampering women

The washing of feet

23 Responses to “A day for the ladies and men”

1. Greg Taylor says:

Those are big rocks ! Awesome update

2. Tyrone says:

I am so excited to hear what a great trip your having & experiencing so much so early in your journey..♥.. God Bless the TEAM… Your Being there is so special for the team and the Haitian people Stay healthy and safe and have fun.. Praying for U All

will let Alex know tomorrow sat.
    Love Dad xo

3. James Small says:

Great to hear the update Toby. You know, I never made the connection in my head that you’re 15 until you mentioned it in that post! Oh my, if this is the passion you have to do God’s will now and to seek him with everything, I’m exited to see how God will continue to fan that fire for God inside of you. Look forward to hearing more stories. Keep on working hard for Jesus! I’m praying for you man!

4. robin says:

Hey team,

Sounds like you have started to find your groove. Your descriptions remind me so much of our times in Grand Goave. Keep looking up, God has amazing things in store for you. Take time for your quiet time with the Lord, he reveals such wonderful stuff to us when we really get to sit and listen.

Looks like the ladies had a good time relationship building, sometimes it is the simplest of things that build great bonds of friendship.

As any of the mom’ish people would say – don’t forget to stay hydrated :) especially in the rock moving hours!

Praying for you on your journey. Bonswa.

Please give Gord a hey from me, he is missed here on the homefront.

5. Kyle Painter says:

It sounds like a great time,! And yes ann i will make sure i give it to him, and i hope the threee of you and the team are having a good time. Ann your house is still standing, cant wait to have the trio of lynchs home tho haha makes for a better time, i hope katie ia feeling better and can enjoy her time there!! Miss you guys lots!!! K.T<3

6. Tyrone says:

I am so excited what a great trip your having & experiencing so much so early in your journey. God Bless The Team your being there is so special for the team and Haitian people. Stay Healthy & Safe and have Fun!! Praying for U All..

Love Dad
    xo

7. Benjamin Day says:

Wow! You guys were not exaggerating about the size of the rock! That is massive! One of the great minds of our time was once quoted”That’s a nice boulder”. For those of you unfamiliar with his works, it was “Donkey” from the movie Shrek. :)

Keep up the hard work. I look forward to the next blog.

Benjamin Day

8. Jane D. says:

These blogs are fantastic! I trust we will soon hear about the ladies moving 1000 lb rocks and the men getting rainbow pedicures … just to be fair. :) Today you are hopefully spending time with the children and might have the opportunity to free all those puppets for story telling. We are praying that this time will be special for the team, and for the haitian children.

Please don’t feel guilty about the place you are staying. Be thankful that you can rest and relax every night so that you are ready to serve another day.

I have so many questions for when you get back to the snowy north. Ann … you were singing?

9. Jean Taylor says:

Keep smiling for WE ALL SMILE IN THE SAME LANGUAGE.

10. Lori Rawlings says:

Hello Ann, Katie, Emily, Nicole and Ron,
    So happy to read your blog Ann. I am thinking of you guys everyday. It is super cold here so enjoy the heat!! Ann get in some pics for the blog.

11. tyrone says:

Hello my blogs r not going through??

12. Amanda Moloney says:

Hey guys! I am SO proud of you all! Ahhhh it just makes me want to cry (the usual.. ) when I read your posts and see your pictures; you are all so incredible! It’s so inspiring to hear about all of your stories and the way you are all growing already from this amazing experience. I LOVE the pictures so far. They are SO beautiful and I can see God’s heart just being poured out on you AND the Haitian people through your/their love. Keep pursuing the Lord and processing things with him! He will show you more than you ever expected! Lots of love & God bless!

13. Hardy Bordihn says:

Great updates and thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming.

It’s great to see you all making a difference down there and hearing of your experiences.

That must be hard work working on the road. It’s nice to see that Daniel and Josh have worked up a “bit” of a sweat.

God Bless and keep well
    Hardy

14. Heidi says:

Hello Ann, Emily and Katie
    I’m so glad to hear that your safe and Haiti and love it there ! It’s amazing what you are doing and I’m so proud of you guys. I have been reading the posts everyday and learning something new ! I can’t wait to hear all the stories when you come back ! Love and miss ya xo

Heidi

15. Kyra Buchanan says:

Toby, you make such an excellent point. You never really realize how much people take for granted. I hope everyone is doing great. You are all an inspiration, I miss you all. I’m praying for you!
    Love Kyra <3

16. The ValleyView Team of Volunteers and its dedicated Leaders, and our beloved Grandson Josh — you are all in our daily prayers. May God, Our Loving Heavenly Father, continue to bless you with inspirational experiences, enriching relationships, safety wherever the Lord leads you, challenging insights into a culture totally in contrast to the daily life style in Newmarket, and daily hard work to build your appreciation of what it takes to survive in an impoverished part of the world.

Josh, great to see you, Toby, Dan, Ron and Dwayne with shovels in your hands moving dirt and rocks and boulders! With your summer landscaping work, Gran and I expect you are handling the physical challenge in your stride.

Josh, did you know that Lisa Mahapatra in the Business Insider recently published statistics for 197 countries in terms of the most miserable places to live. Haiti is 18th from the bottom of the list, with an unemployment rate exceeding 40 percent and a 5,9 percent inflation rate. She writes: “Even before the earthquake in 2010, 80 percent of the Haitian population lived under the poverty line, and 54 percent in abject poverty, and a large section of the population has poor access to education. The country is still recovering from the effects of the earthquake, and has to deal with rampant corruption.” So the Haitian people certainly need your love and encouragement and support. God bless you for what you are doing.

With love and prayer for all the Team– Gray and Esme Cavanagh

17. The ValleyView Team of Volunteers and its dedicated Leaders, and our beloved Grandson Josh — you are all in our daily prayers. May God, Our Loving Heavenly Father, continue to bless you with inspirational experiences, enriching relationships, safety wherever the Lord leads you, challenging insights into a culture totally in contrast to the daily life style in Newmarket, and daily hard work to build your appreciation of what it takes to survive in an impoverished part of the world.

With love and prayer for all the Team — Gray and Esme Cavanagh

18. Tyrone says:

To the Lynch Girls !!!At your home today took the old dog for a walk. Amber is one of a kind !!!:) Nice & peace & quiet holiday for her…Alex & I had a great morning together he misses u all so much & so do I :) Wish My Girls the Very Best!!! God Bless The Lynch’s & Team miss you all..Praying all the time (tears of joy)

Dad xoxo..

19. Ian says:

Such encouraging posts! Blessings! Ian

20. Good Morning Team!
    Great blogging; keep the stories coming! Wonderful to read how God is opening your hearts & senses to the beauty that is around you, despite all the challenges facing this struggling country.
    I was moved to tears, seeing you being the “hands of feet of Jesus” to the women at the clinic. Bless you All!
    BTW….great pics; keep them coming, but I feel like I’m searching for Waldo. Where is Ann???? I’ve been praying lots for you Girl that you wouldn’t wilt in the heat. Has anyone seen her?

21. Mike Friskney says:

Hey Toby,

Glad to hear you are doing well on your trip. I must say I would find it hard to witness the poverty of Haiti and then come home each night to a 4-star hotel, but if you guys are going to be able to do everything you need to do over there, you must be fueled and rested for each day. After digging out that road you should have quite a set of guns on you!

22. Mike Friskney says:

Hey Cady,

Sounds like your trip to Haiti has been a rewarding experience so far. Too bad your new Haitian friends don’t speak very much English, otherwise you could have shared some of Annie’s kookie jokes with them!

23. Corey Price says:

Ann, Emily & Katie: Finally figured out how to submit a comment. Dah, anyway been reading your blog everyday … amazing! I don’t know how all these people do this, much courage, but I agree with Lori, where are some pictures of you Ann? When I didn’t see any, I was beginning to worry, take care and we’ll talk when you get back for sure, want to hear all the details.