A Day of Rest

Hey everyone!

I can’t believe we are half way done our trip. This whole experience has been life changing and I can’t wait to share more when I get back to Canada.

Today we went to Haitian church. Unfortunately with the language barrier we had no idea what was said but it was amazing to see the love the Haitians have for God. They invited us to come up and do worship. Jon played the guitar and Cady and Toby sang my redeemer lives. During the service Nicole and I had the privilege to have a little girl probably about 2 years old sit with us during the 3 hour service. Holding that little girl really touched my heart, just having her sitting on my lap, holding my hand and putting her head on my shoulders makes you realize that children are all the same no matter where they live or what path they are down they just want to be loved. It makes me want to go home and do more work with children.

After church we went back to the hotel for lunch and to pack and prepare ourselves for Church on the Beach at the Joy in Hope property. Toby, Josh and Jon played the guitar and Daniel Adam R and Gayly (our Haitian friend from Joy in Hope) played the drums. We were able to sing 9 songs with them. This experience was wonderful as well because we were able to meet other missionaries who were here in Haiti and we were able to share our stories with each other. After the service we went down to the Beach where Ron C took out his camera and took photos of each team member individually and group shots out on the ocean during sun set.

After Church on the beach we were invited to the Mangines house for dinner. It was great to spend some time there. Toby broke out into dance moves at first with some of the children and before you knew it everyone and I mean EVERYONE was in the kitchen dancing to Usher and Justin Bieber. My mom (Ann) got some of it on video before she was pulled onto the dance floor. So we can show you some of it when we get back. I think everyone on the team can say they will never forget this moment being in Haiti in a Small Kitchen dancing away with Haitian children with smiles across their faces, and holding our hands. It was a real blessing to be a part of it.

Well its almost bed time, maybe tonight I won’t get woken up in the middle of the night to Nicole jumping up and trying to save me because she thinks I’m falling off the bed when I roll over. We had some good laughs about it in the morning. Anyways we go back to work tomorrow digging away at the driveway. I’m excited to do more work on the property.

Alex, if you see this I miss you and can’t wait to see you. You would be so proud of me I’m eating fish(the whole fish head and all, well it came that way but I ate a little) as well as chicken that aren’t boneless. So now we can actually go for chicken wings and fish and chips when I get back home.

SEE YOU ALL IN ONE WEEK!
Love: Emily

OH MY! Where do I even start? Today was an amazing day filled with laughs, joy, rest, unity, and most importantly, God. We started our day off bright and early with a 7am breakfast followed by our team meeting and then we were off to church soon after. I felt the overwhelming strength of the Holy Spirit almost as soon as I walked through the doors. In Haiti church lasts for 3 hours and in the hot sun, you might think that listening to words that you can’t understand might be a little out there. However, this was not the case. We were greeted with smiles, compassion and love. As the service started there was no choir but different sections of the congregation that would rise to their feet and sing their hearts out. The most humbling part however, was when a Haitian man sitting next to me motioned towards his song book and asked me to sing along. By this portion of the service everyone was on their feet and singing together. Even though I could only make out a few of the words I tried my best to sing along and I couldn’t help but feel the power of the Holy Spirit move through me and the people as a whole. God is so much bigger then language barriers and whether I understood what was being said or not, I still felt His presence and power. Later on in the service the pastor of the church invited our group to “present”. Not knowing what that meant; Duane in the organized chaos, called me, Toby, and Cady Matthews to the stage to “present” a worship song. When I walked onto the platform I was able to use an electric guitar. I have never played electric guitar in front of anyone before let alone a full Haitian congregation. At this point I was starting to worry a little bit. However, God is good and in the few seconds Toby and I were given to choose a worship song we chose “My Redeemer Lives” and it went great! After that we went back to our seats and enjoyed the rest of the service. It was relieving knowing that not only did we have the Haitian church praying for us but so many others back home doing the same. God hears our prayers no matter where we are. After church we had a lot of time to eat lunch and relax until we realized that we didn’t have lyrics for the 9 worship songs we chose for our second church service of the day, Church on the beach. We spent a little over an hour writing, by hand, 15 copies of each song. I’ll let you do the math. Even though there was stress and conflict over how to tackle the job, we came together as a team and got to the beach on time. When we arrived we met all kinds of long and short term missionaries. It was nice to converse and share stories with many English speaking people. Toby and I were again called to the bar, this time to lead a whole worship set. Again in the organized chaos that we are working in, God showed up. In between songs many people shared testimony and reasons why they were in Haiti. It was reassuring to know that other people were just as far out of their comfort zone as I am. The speaker was especially inspiring when he spoke about what we need to do to prepare for mission work. He spoke about putting on the armor of god and using it to protect and shield us. This is so important when going so far out of your comfort zone. I really feel like I need to rely on God while on this trip and through wrestling with letting God use me to glorify him, I am truly growing. After leaving the Church on the beach we went for dinner at the Mangine’s for BBQ chicken and man was it great! I couldn’t have thought of a better way to end the night than a dance party in their kitchen which, funny enough, started with Toby trying to get a glass of water and ended with more than 20 bodies dancing in one very stuffy room. All in all, today was an amazing day that was just what we needed to spiritually and physically prepare for another long day tomorrow. God is Good.

p.s Ben, I bought a little wooden pig to commemorate my “incident”, you will be happy to know I named him after you and he’s not nearly as scary as the real one.

Lots of Love: Jon Park

18 Responses to “A Day of Rest”

1. Jean Taylor says:

Hi – You have us green with envy but thrilled that you have had such a God-inspirted Sunday. It’s Monday now and you are back to work. Today LET GOD DO IT with you. He already knows exactly what exciting or challenging situations you will be facing and is prepared to handle them – LET HIM! Blessings.

2. Kathy says:

Hi Team, I am so happy to hear that you had such an amazing Sunday! I know those of you that had been there before were eager to experience Haitian church with the first timers. You are right Emily and Jon, we are all God’s children and feel a bond to each other and to Him where ever we are. I am thrilled to hear that church on the beach was such a great experience and that you were able to connect with others also doing God’s work in Haiti.
    I am sure that you will tackle the physical work today and the rest of the week feeling refreshed and recharged knowing that He will help you through whatever situation arises.
    Jon, I wish I had seen your face during the pig episode. Sounds as though the dance party was an amazing time connecting with each other and letting off steam.
    Jenny, I love you and am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to hear your stories and see your pictures.

3. Alex says:

Glad to see everyone is well, and having a great time. I’m sure its an experience you’ll never forget. Needless to say its a wonderful thing the whole team, and anyone in the past has done there. I couldn’t imagine the courage is must have taken to go for your first time. It looks BEAUTIFUL down there though wish i could see it myself. I’m proud of all you lynch girls (Especially Emily :P) to do what your doing, couldn’t ask to become part of a better family! Miss you guys, stay safe! Cant wait for you to get back! love you <3

4. Cheryl says:

Hey Team! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time, hard work and all! I’m so glad to read about all your feelings and experiences!
    What a blessing you must feel to be there, to learn, to work, to see another way of life!
    Can’t wait for you to come back home, Ron! I love you! Be safe, be blessed, be happy!
    (Would someone ask the kids there to write “hello” on a piece of paper and bring it back? – that would be awesome!)
    Blessings to you all! – Cheryl.

5. Janey Bordihn says:

Hi. guys, your first week sounds absolutely awesome! You have experienced so many different aspects of Haitian life and culture – I can’t wait to hear how it all has and will impact your hearts and minds. I sent a reply yesterday but it seems to be lost in space. I was a little surprised to see a blog from Daniel (who said he wouldn’t blog – and in future I will expect more than one word texts now that I know you can type in sentences!) but great to hear all the fun you are having. I’m sure you are still laughing at Josh. Keep enjoying that spicy food (Dad and I had some Indian food yesterday and I took a picture of that shiny forehead!). We’re praying for you to stay healthy and safe and that you will continue to see God in those around you and find him in unexpected ways and places!
    With much love and blessings,
    Janey

6. Denise Rowsell says:

Hi Team!
    It’s been great to read your blogs. I can almost picture it! I’m glad you all have been enjoying yourselves and working hard. I’m praying for you guys and hope you savour every moment!
    Love Denise

7. Carol says:

What you all are doing is amazing and giving the children such a memory. A memory that will last a life time for all of you.

Can’t believe you have been gone for a week.

See you soon.

8. Jennifer Jukema says:

Hi Daddy Duane! We love you! Only 7 more sleeps! We made a caterpillar train snowman in the cul-de-sac yesterday. We’re praying for you and the whole team every day!
    Love, Samuel, Nathan and Joel

9. Jennifer Jukema says:

Team – it sounds like you’ve experienced a great Haitian weekend! So excited to hear of all your experiences and to read about what God is teaching you these past couple days.
    Been praying throughout today for you all as you are back at work on the road! I can only imagine all the hard manual work you are doing and at the end of the day I am sure you will be exhausted, but remember every shovel of dirt lifted or boulder moved is to God’s glory as you prepare that road that many children and adults will walk, drive and play on as they go to and from their homes with a family some day in the near future!

Psalm 20:1-5 (NLT)
    1 In times of trouble, may the Lord answer your cry.
    May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm.
    2 May he send you help from his sanctuary
    and strengthen you from Jerusalem.
    3 May he remember all your gifts
    and look favorably on your burnt offerings.
    4 May he grant your heart’s desires
    and make all your plans succeed.
    5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory
    and raise a victory banner in the name of our God.
    May the Lord answer all your prayers.

10. Glenn Cavanagh says:

Hey Josh!! Lish here :) just wanted to say hello!! I miss you so much and man does it sound like you’re having an unreal time, getting to experience Haiti in everyway! So cool!!! You have been blessed with an incredible heart that is full of Gods love, and I know God is going to let you shine on this trip! Keep working hard team and loving on those beautiful people! See you in a week! :) love you, Alicia xoxox

11. Debbie Walsh says:

Blessings from Bradford! Each of you are remembered in prayer each day. Your time in Haiti sounds amazing and truly life-changing. I’m sure the energy and gratitude you feel now will be shared when you come home. Katie, you are right – all that children really want is love…authentic love. Don’t we all?! If you could give one of those children a warm hug for me I would appreciate.
    Ontario is preparing for another snowstorm tomorrow night….yikes a different world for sure. Can’t wait to hear your stories – Please give Annie a hug and a smile for me. Her cup is waiting for her. :) Peace, joy and abundant blessings as you answer your call to ministry. Debbie

12. Benjamin Day says:

Jon. When I read your post, I burst out laughing! I have a mental image of the “Incident” and it makes me smile. Continue the great work you are doing down there. It takes a special person to be able to pick up an electric guitar and sing an English song in a creole church. You are an inspiration to me, and your brothers and sisters in Christ.

Can’t wait to give you a high five when I see you again. Keep safe.

Your buddy Benjamin

13. Thrilling to read about your Sunday Church experiences, Josh, as vividly described by Emily and Jon Park. Delighted to see you Josh at the Church on the Beach playing the guitar and singing with Toby, Jon, Daniel, Adam and Gayly your Haitian friend on the drums. Several wonderful photos!

Gran and I are spiritually moved by the testimonies of the Team members and so thankful to Our Heavenly Father that you are a part of this amazing mission and witness to the goodness of God. Big hugs for you when you return home!

With love and prayer for all the Team — Gray and Esme Cavanagh

14. Kirsten Day says:

Hi Team!

Benjamin and I have been reading the blogs every night before we go to bed and our kids pray for the whole team. Sounds like an amazing trip so far!

Ron C: can’t wait to see your pictures of the sunset beach. I hope Carrie is taking pictures of you!

Nicole and Emily: that would have been neat sitting with the little two year old in church. You’re right, I look at Marek and see that they just want to be loved no matter where they live!

Jon: regarding the pig story, Ben is still laughing his head off!

Carrie and Janet: waiting to hear some good “nursing” stories. I’m sure you guys are doing a great job!

Sherri: I know the team is in good hands with your great organizational skills. I heard you guys might be cooking a Haitian meal one day. If I were there, I would help you with the rice!

And to the whole team: Sorry I couldn’t be there for your dance party! Can’t wait to see the video!

We will continue to pray for you all!
    Kirsten

15. Tyrone says:

Lynch girls & Team

Sounds like everyone is keeping very busy. Hope u all enjoyed your Day Of Rest :) Not sure how much rest you got?? Must of been very hot at church for 3hrs & then dancing later on in the kitchen did I hear Ann was dancing to Justin Bieber ??? sounds wonderful wish I was there..

Emily & Katie your blogs r amazing, miss you both so much all the best!!! (take lots pics)

All The Best Team Be Safe & Healthy !! God Bless
    Praying All The Time for all of You!!!!

Love Dad xo

16. Carol Matthews says:

Hi Cady and Toby- Just got home from HMDCS science fair-Ruth took home a 2nd place ribbon and Annie got a 3rd place ribbon. Yea!!!
    Lots of friends saying hello to you this evening(Brandon, Monica, Mr. Ross, etc.)
    Everyone missed you this evening. They are calling for another storm tonight and we expect to have a snow day tomorrow-let’s hope! We love seeing photos of what you are doing so keep posting pics. We miss you crazy-like and can’t wait to have you back and hear about everything you are seeing and doing. I hope you are all feeling well and able to withstand the heat. Thinking about you constantly and counting down the days until you return. It’s only been a week but it feels like two. Much love, Mom

17. Meghan Gibson says:

I finally figured out how to comment. Emily I left you a message on facebook that will make you laugh when you read it back home.
    I am so happy to hear about your guys experience and so proud of you, your mom and katie and everyone on the team of course.
    Keep doing the amazing work you have been and talk to you when you get home. xoxo