Haiti – No Place I Would Rather Be

No place I’d rather be..

I love watching the new team members experience Haiti for the first time, they react the same way I did 18 months ago. Now this foreign country seems beautifully familiar to me.  The chaos against the beauty is a constant, predictable in its own way.

So.. Sunday morning we hopped into our usual mode of transport, (back of a work truck) heading to Haitian church.   I felt a peace with where I was spiritually, emotionally and physically.  I turned to Ron and said ‘There’s no place I’d rather be’, I think he was taken back with my obscure comment; he hesitated and agreed, contentment among the chaos…  I feel God speaking to me here, trying to push me out of my comfort zone, not in the culture, but within myself.

We spent this morning back at the work site, I was a little hesitant about the relationship between us blancs and the Hatian workers, as you had heard from Alex yesterday.  It is hard to show people where your heart is when you don’t speak the language… I’m thankful that one of the workers spoke some broken English, he is our lifeline of communication between us and them.  We intentionally engaged the workers in conversation, we sang with them and by the end of the day they were more than willing to pose in pictures with us… my heart was full when we left the site…I really did not expect that we would be genuinely excepted again.  I am looking forward to working with our new friends tomorrow.

The Team

So, back to the title of my blog… we met Sara, an amazing young woman from Alberta, she is a mid-wife and serves the Hatian women in such a loving way.   Sara attended and ran the church on the beach last Sunday night, she spoke about how God had been speaking to her through a song our team sang during worship a night earlier… the first three lines in the song is ‘no place I’d rather be’, that was the moment I knew I needed to come back here.

Miss you all, I hope everyone is well, see you in 6 days <3

Carrie

Btw… I ate a fish with a head and tail still on and goat… so much for my meat issues.

I dont know how they keep working all day in the heat

No safety toed shoes here

Oh Happy Day!

Up until today the team, or various members have had struggles. Especially with “unsettled” stomachs.  Along with a general uneasy feeling .  That is par for the course on a trip of this nature.   Since I had to stay behind yesterday to get feeling better, I chose to read the bible and journal.  I borrowed Ron Dunning’s bible and as it turns out, it was broken.  It kept opening on the same page and I kept reading the same verse.  All day every time I opened it, it opened to Romans 12.  “…..so I urge you brothers to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice holy and pleasing to God.  This is your spiritual act of worship.”  I shared this with the team as I was prompted to during evening devotion time and it resonated with everyone.  We are serving him.  This is exactly what we were doing whether in our ability to work in the heat or with the kids or even to go through illness. With that in our minds and with everyone in prayer for one another, we went to bed.  In the morning I awoke feeling amazing.  100 percent and with a joy I hadn’t felt in ages.   I believe last night was a turning point for the entire team both physically and spiritually, and we had a new sense of purpose and renewed strength.  The Joy has remained with me all day and I have enjoyed great health today.  Oh Happy Day!

You will be happy to know Cheryl that I am getting pictures of feet, and yes, I’m taking my pills.

Ron C

All in sync

11 Responses to “Haiti – No Place I Would Rather Be”

1. robin says:

Hey Team,

Loving your blog updates feels like I am starting to know some of you. I love your descriptions of events, the joy you are feeling for how you are experiencing God in Haiti. Sunday worship times are very precious times with or with out an interperter for the service. Awesome freedom seen in worship.

I remember feeling overwhelmed with the beauty of praying voices shouting out to God their prayers all at the same time. Beautiful! Also singing a familiar praise song together in creole and english together – amazing.

Savour every moment, journal what God is saying to you. Life changing things may be happening to you.

Hey Gord – does Randy the goat have a relative in Jacmel and have you met him face to face yet??

Love you, we all miss you here, but there is no other place I rather be then where you are either :)

2. Amber says:

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of your team and praying for you guys. Gord, I hope all is going well as you lead yet another team. You truly have been “bitten by the Haiti bug…” I love how that happens!
    Hugs :)

3. Meghan Palmer says:

I loved hearing about your day of rest and about the Haitian church experience! 5 days left of your journey but memories, and life changing incounters to last you a lifetime! Enjoy the rest of your few days you have left and keep taking everything in, smell, taste, touch, sights, and learning something new everyday and now that God is with you every step of the way! Can’t wait to see you Daniel when you get home and to hear everything and I mean everything about Haiti like you said, “might not able to have contact for two weeks, but when I get home ill be talking your ear off for two whole weeks!” Can’t wait! See you soon!

4. Cheryl says:

Ron, so nice to finally hear from you!! I was hoping you wouldn’t get sick, but now I’m glad you did! What a turning point! I can’t wait to see your pictures – especially the ones with the feet! – Oh! and get a picture of the landscape or the moon especially for Josh, since it was his 20th birthday yesterday! :o) I love you, baby! – Cheryl.

5. Suzanne Taylor says:

I love hearing how God is speaking to each one of you. That passage in Romans always speaks to me…I love how God just had the bible keep opening to that page. His word is so powerful…because it is truth. We need only to soften the walls of our own hearts to receive it and then believe it…and if we truly believe it we will know because we will act on it. This is the power of our living God, who is to be exulted above all. I will pray that this seed of truth “Romans 12″ grow in each of your hearts.

The Lord pointed out Col 2:2 and 3 as well…so I am also praying that for each of you. “My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”

You belong to Christ, you are his ambassadors, ambassadors of truth and how this truth is shaping your heart. These are the mysteries of God. As he works on your heart, this light will flow to all you meet. I love how God is revealing Himself uniquely to each of you. I’m so proud of you all.

6. Kathy says:

Wow, Ron and Carrie, loved reading both of your blogs today and of the amazing way God is working in all of you and pushing you beyond your comfort level physically and emotionally to serve and share His love with the Haitians.
    I am so proud of each and every team member, even the ones I do not know well!

Jenny, great to see a photo of you today, as usual, in your glory with children! Is that the red from the flower reflecting on your skin or do I detect a sunburn?
    I love you sweetie, can’t wait for your hug on Monday evening!

7. James W says:

Hey Valleyview Team,

I love reading about your Growth and experiences in Jacmel,

Isaiah 6-8
    8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

You all are living this verse, you have left your comfort zones in a dozen way’s. It’s not about the hotel you stay in , the house or the Country you come from, It’s about your heart.

Take this experience and own it , Live your life as a service to others, Loving as Christ did.

In two weeks our team with follow up your’s , This will be my 2nd trip in less than 4 months to the property and I can’t wait to see how the road is coming(Looking Good)and reconnect with everyone/everything in Haiti.

Well done! praying for safety,good health and travel for the remainder of your trip.

God Bless – James W – Church Team Leader

College Heights Baptist , Prince George,BC

8. Kyle Painter says:

Hirry up and come home!!! I miss you katie!!!!

9. Jean Taylor says:

Carrie, your enthusiastic response to being in Haiti reminded me that GOD ALWAYS GIVES THE BEST TO THOSE WHO LEAVE THE CHOICE WITH HIM (Jim Elliot). You did this in the days before getting on that plane. Following His guidance you returned to Haiti and it has brought you such joy.
    Ron – I am sorry you have had some health issues BUT your comment OH HAPPY DAY and your writing of the JOY experienced as you spent time alone in Ron’s Bible came through so clearly. I noticed your opening right off – my mind slipping back over the years to a chorus – likely popular before your time – that goes … Oh! Happy Day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away. He taught me how to watch and pray, and live rejoicing every day. Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away.
    This is the message the team is broadcasting, and I rejoice that the Lord is handling and blessing your time in Haiti.
    Hi Adam T – still looking for your blog!

10. Duane says:

I read the posts multiple times each day and always consider how to respond and support the team. After asking God to help me know what to say that would be most helpful, he answered.
    I want to say THANK YOU! Not only for the daily posts that give us a view of the life and work you are doing, and/or the challenges you are working with, but also for Boldly and Courageously stepping out for your beliefs and faith in Christ.
    Please keep up the great work of serving our God, by being Christ with skin on for the Haitian people you are building relationships with. <3

11. Carol Matthews says:

Romans 12. “…..so I urge you brothers to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice holy and pleasing to God. This is your spiritual act of worship.”
    This jumped off the blog today as I read the words from scripture that Cady and Toby included in their mission letter. I remember physically sighing as I read the verse they had so boldly and unabashedly chosen.
    I told them to be careful what they asked God.
    I have come to experience God is not as much concerned with the suffering of our physical bodies as He is much more focused on developing our hearts and minds. He longs for us to lay down our concern for comforts and be surrendered to what He wants us to do for Him.
    Thank you Team for being there. Thank you for the physical sacrifice you are making.
    I continue to hold you up in my prayers.